Thursday, November 13, 2014

Observations from my hospital stay

I have already written about the large bowel partial blockage I experienced in late October. I hope no one has to go through that. This short blog concerns the care I received while under the care of the hospital.

The hospital just opened in November 2013. It represents over $500,000,000 investment in our area and is a state of art hospital when it comes to technology. The hospital also recently received some accredation that puts in on the same footing as MD Anderson and Mayo's for level of care. It is a gem.

I went in through ER and did not experience the painful slow intake process usually associated with the ER. Within less than half and hour I had been triaged, had an x-ray that determined I had a partial lower bowel blockage and waited on transport to a regular room

Within a half an hour I was in a room and nurses were attending to me. Several times during the admission to the hospital the "hospitalist" came in and check. Now I was have violent cramps and pain all this time but no pain meds were prescribed until a Dr. had determined the final diagnosis and settled on a course of treatment. That is frustrating and kind of scary, but I can understand how necessary it is. I've been through that several times before.

The next 6 days were spent in pain, uncontrolable bowel movements, and boredom. The nurses were efficient, compassionate, and very efficient. I was truly impressed at their work ethic and care they exhibited for their patient. Everyone was part of the team and pitched in to perform whatever task was needed to be performed, from cleaning up the messes I made to administering medications. Nothing was too low or to unimportant.

I met a Dr. in the hospital who had been a general surgeon but didn't make the change with new surgery procedures and became a hospitalist. He was straightforward and honest and I appreciated it. He gave me advice and told me things that perhaps a Dr. wouldn't. I did appreciate the input.

All in all the experience, under the circumstances, was good. Just wish I didn't have to go back, but this one will be at the University of Arkansas School of Medicine in Little Rock so we shall see what comes of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment