Sunday, December 25, 2011

Week 10 Since Iliostomy Reversal

It is now Week 10. I am so pleased. The first six weeks of recovery from the reversal were difficult and worrisome. I seemed to go a lot, I experienced some pain and bleeding, and occasional bouts of ease. About a month ago a change took place. The stools seemed to firm up. If I felt like I had to go I sat and went with ease. However the consistency was still a little glue like and I became accustomed to keeping a wash cloth in the bathroom to take care of the occasional excess. In addition, I had to wear a pad at night as I might pass a little stool and not be aware of it  until I woke up and then I had to change my pajamas.

About two weeks ago I noticed the stools continued to firm up and pretty soon the glue like consistency became more dry and clean up was almost nil. I laughingly referred to myself as the man with the Teflon ass, nothing stuck to it. The truth is, if I maintain a normal diet I have pretty normal BM's without difficulty and mess. However, if I hit a pretty rich diet hard for a day or two then the glue consistency comes back along with some messiness.

I have noticed that my system is more and more tolerant of the foods I eat. I do not suffer the extreme gas and bloating I suffered six months ago. I do not have any pain, if I feel like I have to go I have to go, no dry runs. I do not have any rectum, so the stool does not accumulate until I get a full feeling that allows me to go only once or twice a day. However, I can control when I go, to some degree, and there is just no pain.

I am so grateful. Yet I kind of feel like the other shoe will drop. The Dr.'s assure me that it will only get better and that in time the large intestine that is hooked up to the anal outlet will become more like a rectum and the frequency of having to go should diminish.

For the first time in several years my wife and I go shopping without me having to hunt up a bathroom every twenty minutes. We can go out to eat and I can sit with her the full time we are enjoying a dinner. Things are so much better now, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train rushing towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment