Saturday, February 11, 2012

First week of maintenance chemo

I just finished my first week of maintenance chemo. I am taking a drug called Xeloda, pronounce Zeloda. It is in pill form and I take eight pills a day, four in the morning and four at night. The body converts the drug to 5FU which is a standard drug used in the treatment of colon cancer. The oncologist wanted to add another drug to the regime but the insurance company would not pay for it and I did not qualify for help from the drug company. So I guess from one standpoint I am received a less than recommended treatment, but then the cancer recurred in the same sight at the previous surgery so if it is there this drug ought to do it.

The side effects are numerous and range from diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, aching bones, to sores in the mouth. So far I have experienced  none. I take the drug for one week then stop for a week. I do have some Dr. visits in the meantime to measure my blood count as these drugs can lower you immune system.

I still feel very good. I have frequent bowel movements, maybe 10+ a day, but there is no pain or inflammation.. I do not bleed and am for the most part comfortable. The consistency of the stool is like a heavy glue which makes cleaning tedious and uses a lot of toilet paper. However, it is a long way from what is was a year ago, a long way and I am grateful. Life is good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment