Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Don't read unless you have bowel issues

I have undergone two bowel resections for colon cancer. I literally don't have a rectum anymore. I don't have a colostomy and if possible I do not want one. However I do encounter what are called cluster movements. Because my rectum is all but gone I do not have the same sensations a person with a rectum has. The rectum is a collection pouch for fecal matter. As it fills we get that "full feeling" sensation that signals we may have a bowel movement. When you have a bowel movement you feel relief, the rectum is emptied and the process starts all over and takes sometimes a predictable amount of time so we are what you refer to as "regular."

I am not regular. I may have a BM between 15 and 25 times a day. Once and a while I hit a stretch where I am almost normal, but usually no more than a day or two. Other times I encounter an episode where for several hours to a day I may have to go 3 to 4 times an hour.

I have tried to monitor my food intake. Sometimes when I have certain foods, often quite greasy or fatty I may have an episode. Other times I may have too much chocolate or snack foods that are made rich in fat and that'll trigger a series of movements. There are other times that the consistency of my stool is like axle grease and cleaning is an issue. Other times if I really get out of whack it is thin and runny and then I have to wear diapers.

I were a pad much of the time. For sure when I go out and about. The reason is because I cannot feel a movement until it is almost upon me, or I can even encounter periods of bowel incontinence. I have no idea that something happened, an "accident," until I can feel the sensation of a stained pad. This can happen anyplace at anytime.

When I drive to work I have about an hour on the road. I usually begin my day with breakfast and then stick around home for a half and hour to an hour. That is so I can gauge the reaction of my system. Many times I encounter an accident while on the road and have to clean myself at work. Therefore I carry a back pack with a pocket stuffed with necessaries. I have extra pads, a packet of flushable personal wipes, and another bag with a change of clothes just in case I really have a problem. That has not happened for a long time.

I have been in meetings where I simply cannot escape in time sitting there knowing that when the meeting is over I have to find a rest room and take care of myself. There are times that I have not had my supply bag with me and end up wetting paper towels and using toilet paper stuffed in my drawers to handle any emergencies until I can get to a replacement pad.

It is frustrating. There have been times around the house I can't get some projects done because I'm going to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so. So life sounds difficult and in some ways it is.

However, I feel great. I have a good attitude and I think that a lot of my difficulties are my own doing. There are times I eat too much, especially when my wife makes a particularly good favorite meal. It is hard to stop. Or I might get a day where I say to hell with it and gorge myself on some sweet delectable that I crave. I pay for it.

I have started taking one Imodium after every meal and that does seem to help. It slows down the movement of the fecal matter so I don't go so often and the consistency of the stool is firm enough to make cleaning less of an effort. When things are going well they are great. When things are going badly I concentrate on the moment and just take care of what I have to. I weather the storm because I do not have a choice and I basically do feel well. As time goes along I am getting a better understanding of what effects what and am trying to adjust my eating habits and food to improve my results.

It isn't bad, it's just life.


No comments:

Post a Comment