Saturday, August 20, 2011

Surgery: I lose a day

I am prepped and brought to the OR staging area about 6:30 AM. A few people are around, they start and IV and the anesthesiologist comes and talks to me to determine what he needs to do. I mention I do not want morphine as a pain killer as I had a bad reaction to it, got high and couldn't sleep, the last surgery I had using that a the pain killer. A drug called Dilaudid was used in place of morphine and seemed to work quite well. It relieved the pain, I did not get high, nor did I suffer sleeplessness.

I got to my room from recovery and have no idea what time it was. It was late, I think the surgery was more involved and a lot tougher than originally anticipated. The rest of the night people watched over me, cleaned my new iliostomy bag, and provided relief from pain. Terry was with me and slept in a cot provided by the hospital. The day is just a blur and I found myself several times not even counting August 4 as a day I had any recollection.

Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment