Saturday, August 20, 2011

Purgatory: The time in between

Radiation and Chemo stopped Tuesday, June 28. Now five weeks until surgery on August 4. The intervening time was tough. I endured severe cramping, my butt hurt constantly, and the fatigue was amazing. At first I crossed the living room one chair at a time. The most relief I could get was lying on a bed where I could roll around, pass some gas and otherwise stretch out and not have to use the energy to support my body.

As the weeks went by my strength gradually built up. Not very well, but I was able to stay up for longer and longer periods each day. Eating was a task, food just did not look appealing and the first few bites make my stomach revolt so I would stop and wait for that feeling to pass. The pain in my rear end never did leave but I did become somewhat more settled. Occasionally I would take a pain pill if I did too much but I made the five weeks and looked forward to the relief the surgeon would provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment