Saturday, October 29, 2011

16 Days from Iliostomy Reversal

Last night I had the best night's sleep I've had in months. I had two BM's all night, no pain, slept comfortably and awoke refreshed. God it felt good. All day I was pain free, took no pain pills and my wife and I went shopping at an antique store for about two hours. It was great. Then this evening we had a dinner of baked breaded shrimp, tenderloin wrapped in bacon and a sweet potato. I think the commercial food, shrimp and tenderloin appetizers did me in. I had some fairly severe cramps and spent about two hours going back and forth to the "john."

The fecal material burned terribly on my skin. If I could remove it and clean it off, the pain subsided, but while one my skin it was as though someone where burning my skin with a torch. I had an episode. I am no stranger to episodes, it was pretty much how my life revolved for over four years after the first bowel resection in 2007. I have learned though. I did end up taking a couple of powerful pain pills because of the intensity. I have cleaned my bottom thoroughly with a wash cloth after each BM and now am fairly comfortable. However, I do have to watch what I eat, that obviously makes a difference.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, just wondering how things were going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trail Mail:
    Thank you for asking. I'm am really doing very well. My system is fairly normal. If I each a rich in fat diet for several days it will act up, but not painful or bloated or anything like that. I do go to the bathroom quite frequently. My rectum was removed during surgery and my colon attached directly to the anal outlet so I do not have an accumulation chamber. That is why I go frequently. I am absolutely thrilled with how I feel. When I went to the GI guy a year ago he put me on an anti-depressant called Lexapro. I am still on that drug. My attitude and outlook are definitely more upbeat than they have been in years. After almost three months from the reversal I would have to say it is a success. The Dr.'s tell me it will only get better. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete