Monday, October 17, 2011

Now I am a survivor

The first time I had colorectal cancer it was a polyp that when removed the Dr.'s told me I was cured. It was so confined and the surrounding tissue so free of cancer that the oncologist told me I reverted back to the risk percentage of the population that had never had a polyp. Ha! At the cellular level along the point of resection lurked some cells that grew into another tumor. This tumor followed the incision line circumferentially until it ringed the colon and presented some obstruction to fecal matter. This I had severe IBS symptoms and about a year of pain and agony before we found the problem.

This time I went the full route, chemo/radiation, surgery and iliostomy, iliostomy reversal, and finally I will have three to four months of maintenance chemo. The side effects of the chemo/radiation were horrendous, the surgery was long and difficult the recovery not too bad but dealing with the bag of the iliostomy was a frustrating, maddening experience. Finally the iliostomy reversal and the diarrhea and incision pain are what I am currently dealing with. Soon I will begin the chemo maintenance program and hopefully about ten months after the colonoscopy found the tumor the treatment program will be done. I now pronounce myself a survivor. It has been tough, mentally. It has been tough on my wife both physically and mentally, and it has been psychologically draining. I have not lost my zest for life nor my will to live, but I am hopeful that I will have some years of peace in our lives and can grow old without such large amounts of time devoted to dealing with how you get through each day. I'd like to sit on the porch, drink some coffee and talk with some friends and not feel like I always had a sword dangling over my head.

Here's to a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment