Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 4 1/2 of 6 Chemo treatments

More than half way through the six chemo treatments. Supposedly, according to the Dr., people tolerate this type of chemo quite well. I am not one of those. Oh, at first it wasn't too bad, and I kind of fooled myself into thinking perhaps this won't be bad and I'll be able to work around the house and get a few things done.

I did wonder if as time went on the side effects would accumulate, and apparently some of them do. I had chemo on a Monday, six days ago. Chemo consists of two drugs administered via IV in the Infusion Lab. The third drug is administered via a pump I wear over 46 hours and is removed usually about Wednesday noon. The first few days I feel quite well, however that is due to a couple of anti-nausea drugs that contain a "feel good" component. That wears about about Thursday after being administered Monday.

It is all down hill from there. I did encounter a gagging sensation and in fact coughed up some phlegm a few times. I also had a soreness in my throat and a little acid reflux during the night time. I explained that to am NPA and she told me to take some Mucinex and Prilosec and that seems to have been pretty effective. However, I feel constantly ill at ease in my stomach and I am encountering abdominal cramps that are fairly painful. Early on when I would encounter these cramps I'd pass some stool which resulted in me having to change pads often and clean myself up. Last night I encountered cramps but passed no stool and no gas and got worried I was encountering a colon blockage. I don't think so as I've now passed some gas and a little stool, but I frequently encounter these cramps and they can make me catch my breath.

Food does not taste good and the smell of food cooking is almost nauseating. I am losing some weight because I just can't eat much. That effect has occurred in past weeks, and by the end of the second week after chemo my appetite has returned and I am able to put that weight back on. Last chemo round however, the cramps lasted up to the end of the two weeks and I ended up losing about 4 pounds. I'll see what happens this week.

Round 5 of chemo coming up they are going to drop the drug Avastin. It slows healing and has to be discontinued 6 weeks before surgery. I think that is the drug that causes me some constipation and cramping, I hope. We will be discontinuing the drug a week from Monday in preparation for early December surgery.

My dauber is down, but I'm not out of the race that's for sure. I'll keep you informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment