Sunday, May 22, 2011

Here we go again

I am one day away from starting a round of radiation/chemo treatments. This is a new protocol for me, as four years ago I simply had surgery and was considered cured. So much for that bright diagnosis. However, the cancer is probably a recurrence because it is located at the site of the joining of the resection. In talking with the radiologist I asked that if it is a recurrence then it would mean surgery nothing less. He said yes. It was probably at the microscopic level and developed slowly over a period of time.

I am thankful that Dr. Hightower insisted on a colonoscopy when we could not stop the bleeding. It looks like from the results of the PET scan we got it in time, it shows no evidence of having spread. I do not know what stage it is, probably II or III, but according to the statistics both stages are highly curable.

I continue to have constant bowel issues. I do not believe these issues are related to the cancer as I've pretty much had these issues for the last four years. I expect to have a stoma and a colostomy as a result of the surgery. The position of the tumor is simply too low in my colon for resection, at least that is in my mind. The radiologist concurs although the surgeon feels he may be able to resect.

I find my mental condition to be OK. I am not fretting, I am not anxious and I do expect a good outcome. So, tomorrow the trip begins. This time a longer and more aggressive treatment protocol and one I hope results in the cherished words, "You're cured."

No comments:

Post a Comment