Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saw the plumber

Terry and I met with the oncologist yesterday. He did a lot of general background research and took many notes. In the end I will have a port surgically installed in my left should that will feed chemo directly into my blood stream through a pump I will wear. The chemo should not cause any hair fallout, nausea or other side effects. He did say I may get some sores in my mouth and/or some inflammation of the lower colon. These side effects occur in about 10% of the cases. Other than that the chemo sensitizes the cancer cells so they are more susceptible to be killed by the radiation. Five weeks, that will be a long time. Then after that, surgery followed by maybe a little more chemo to clean any remaining cells.

I have a PET scan on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 which is used to stage the radiation and to see if there is any evidence of cancer cells located elsewhere in my body.

And away we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment